Re: Wire question

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi Marc and All.

My best bud Aron Koscho has a 4" wound with 22 gauge.
I have a 4" wound with 24 gauge.
The diameter and length of each coil is the same.

The output sparklength of both secondaries are identical when driven with the
same setup, just swapping them out. We have to retune of course, but when
it's back in tune with the different secondary, there is no noticeable
difference in sparklength.

I suggest going "high inductance", in other words, wind it for 1600 turns or
more. On a 4.5" x 18" form, #30 would give you excellent results I'm sure.
(as per John Freau, I'm almost positive that's what he would suggest also)

(p.s. John Freau: Aron and I wound a 12" form with #20 gauge....we're
lighting it up in a couple of weeks from now, we'll keep you (and the list)
informed...the primary is huge!!! Gotta have those primary turns)

Later,

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
G-3 #1150