Re: solid state magnifier...accidentally...cool!

Original poster: "Mike Novak by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmnovak-at-msn-dot-com>

Sniperz below...

> Hello again, and again ; )
>
> (all snips from Mike Novak)
> > So I got mine running from 1kHz-347kHz...
>
> Very cool. I didn't realize they went up so high, I thought they dropped
off
> at 100kHz or so. But it's not the first time I've been wrong ; )
>

> Hey, what else are flyback drivers for?!
>

> I used one of those "single transistor" flyback drivers once, with a 3055.
> also used a 10" by 10" huge heatsink for it!!!....and it still got warm.

I find it VERY useful to put a thermal cutoff switch on the heatsink beside
the transistor to begin with. I'm thinking of making a copper/Aluminum
heatsink like they use on processors. I find that the transistor feeding the
3055 gets real hot also, maybe I need something a bit heavier... I can't get
a decent output if i current limit the draw to the small transistor. :-/

> A flyback driven maggie....hm. Keeping in mind that the typical 3055
driven
> flyback operates anywhere from 5 - 30kHz, how in the world will you make a
> secondary (extra) coil to resonate that low? Small wire, big coil, big
> topload? Or do you plan to use a 555 driving a 3055...so you can get high
> freq out of it? I'm sure that would work well.......check a 3055 data
sheet
> to see it's frequency range though.

Of course, I'll be using a 555 driven 2N3055....
However, I'm hoping to aquire some higher power mosfets soon, the 2N3055s
don't like anything over 20 volts. They are just little heaters :-))

> What I have done before.....this is cool now.......is use the output of a
> flyback THROUGH A SPARK GAP and tank capacitor.........into a tesla coil
> primary.....to drive a secondary coil in the old-fashioned way!! It was
> really cool. 2" tiny, tiny, arcs, but extremely high frequency (drove a 6"
> lighbulb wonderfully) and was really neat. Tank BPS was 20kHz! Very safe
> compared to that of a "conventional" tesla coil operated at 60Hz from the
> wall.

I tried that once, and got similar results, but the sound was worse than a
2kW spark gap TC. Maybe not louder, but much more annoying :-o
I got some 32 gauge wire to wind a tertiary coil tonite... Aiming for
200kHz, as 555's signal will decay a bit at higher frequencies.

On a side note, I messed around with that plasma globe again today (10"
radioshmuck with driver removed... boy, they sure don't make em like that
anymore :-/). I got some REALLY cool effects with it. I changed the
frequency (coarse and fine adjustment pots now), current to the base of the
2N3055, and voltage input. I got anything from bright, acitve streamers to
dull, fat, "phantom" streamers as Tesla would say :-)

I think it might be possible to build a solid state version of his
"Disruptive Discharge coil" featured in "The amazing inventions of Nikola
Tesla". I forgot where I have it posted, but I scanned it last year and I
think it's on a nbci-dot-com account... Unfortunately, I lost the URL :-( If
anyone still has it, please let us know!

Thanks and safe coiling to ya,

-Mike Novak