Re: solid state magnifier...accidentally...cool!

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com>

I think the felt allows the Hydrogen to more rapidly diffuse into the air.
Think about how much faster a helium balloon deflates with time compared to one
filled with air(or your breath more likely).  This rapid diffusion likely
prevents reaching the lower flammablility limit for hydrogen immediately
outside the vents.  I would guess that the only way to set off an explosion
would be to foolishly place an ignition source (such as a cigarette in your
mouth)close to the cells and then opening the covers to look in and check the
electrolyte level.  I would imagine that rather than a true explosion, a flame
jet would shoot up into your face in such a case.  Probably just easier to
describe as an explosion to get people's attention.
Mike