Re: chokes

Hi Ed,

At 05:24 PM 10/4/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>	I suspect that there are guys designing high power pulse and power
>transformers who could handle that sort of thing.  Certainly they must
>be interested in the voltage distribution resulting from a lightning
>strike, for example.  Guess we don't have any power engineers and
>transformer designers in the group (they're getting pretty scarce
>anywhere these days) or someone would have spoken up.  As for the CS
>measurements, I think a lot could be learned if you could somehow dig
>into the transformer and measure voltage distribution without wrecking
>it.  Impossible, of course.  Hope there'll be other information on this
>subject.
>
>Ed

I hooked up some toys to my 15/60 NST with all the power connections
disconnected.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/Pa040001.jpg

The 5VRMS from the signal generator on the one side of the secondary
probably did not energize the iron core at all (thinking about how core
energies figure into all this make my brain hurt #:-P), but this is "what I
got" at 300 kHz...

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/Tek00000.gif

5VRMS in looks purely inductive with 0.823 mA of current.  That gives an
inductance of 3.22mH which is super low by maybe a factor of 1 million!
But if one figures the actual voltage is 4000 times higher, that gives a
current of 3.3 amps at 300kHz...  I also swept the frequency from 10kHz to
1.01MHz:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/Tek00001.gif

Looks like a nice linear function...

Of course, this is probably so far from reality it is not worth much...
but maybe of some interest anyway...  It would tend to suggest that some
capacitances are very low...

Cheers,

	Terry