Re: chokes

Hi Greg,

At 03:16 PM 10/3/2001 +1000, you wrote:
>Thank you all for your individual input on chokes. However, this has
>served to confuse me even more. Some of you are using a few turns on a
>3/4" air core. Some of you are saying not to use an RF choke at all,
>and yet more are saying to use many turns on a ferrite core. All the
>repliers have claimed that their particular system has worked very well
>for them. This is all really confusing. I would very much like to hear
>what people like Richard Hull and Quick have to say on this matter if
>they are still out there.

Richard Hull is no longer coiling but rather working on "fusors" these days.

http://fusor-dot-net/
http://www.richmond.infi-dot-net/~rhull/highenergy001.htm

Richard Quick was on this list briefly a while back but have not heard much
at all from him in recent times :-(

>Richard Quick used to use 18 turns on a 2" ferrite core. However, this
>is exactly what I was using when my neon died, so I am a bit skeptical
>of it. Conversely, I ran my coil successfully for months without any
>chokes at all! help!!!!!!

The use of chokes started with Dr. Tesla.  Like the now disproven wire
length theories, I think the choke think just went along unquestioned for
years (~100) without critical analysis.  When it was analyzed, the use of
chokes fell apart...  Of course, Tesla got the rest right :-)))

If you are using a pole pig, chokes may not be an issue since pigs only die
under extreme conditions like using a 5kVA pige at 30 kVA or running them
without oil...  NSTs are the big problem.  I trust you have seen the other
posts and the papers at:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/MyPapers.htm

http://people.ne.mediaone-dot-net/lau/tesla/protection.htm

We can now probe, measure, and study just about anything we want on running
coils (I make that sound easy :-)) and the data shows that the old
conventional "sticking a coil of wire between the NST and coil" is useless.
 If one tries to "make" it work, you can actually make the noise getting to
the NST far worse.  the best filter I know of is "mine" :o)) but I really
have done a lot of work and study to back it up...

Of course, many people get along fine without protection filters.  However,
if you are running a critical coil like Ted's where an NST failure would be
"bad" or just unpacked your brand new $130 (+$40) shipping NST, having it
fail in the first two seconds is NOT an option...  If you have 30 rusty old
NSTs ready to replace a blown tranny, the $50 for a protection filter is
probably better spent elsewere...

Cheers,

	Terry