RE: Coil schematics?

Hi,

I should point something out about the "Terry filter" and circuits like it.

When the sun is shinning, the birds are singing, and your coil is arcing
away happily you don't need a filter.  However, the filter was not designed
for "happy" moments...

When your caps explode, the rotary gap shatters, your secondary flames
up...  That is when the filter will protect your neon from damage.  The
safety gaps protect against over voltage when the main gap screws up for
reasons we keep inventing.  The new trigger gaps will add more to that list
of gaps failing to fire "because"...  The MOVs are also redundant until one
screws up the safety gap settings (and you know who you are! :-)).  Many
people get by fine without filters or safety gaps but they really know what
they are doing.  I think 90% of NST failures are due to over voltage, thus
the filter has two ways to stop that.  The RF filter stops signals from
getting to the NST that can only do bad things to it.  If you count up NST
failures with a filter and those where there was no filter, the numbers
will differ by two orders of magnitude.

The "Terry" filter was designed to protect the NST no mater what was
connected up to it.  If your could is working perfectly, the filter is not
doing much.  If your coil is have a disaster, your NST may be all that is
left...  Being a "universal" filter, it may have features that may not make
sense for a particular coil.  Of course, modifications to the original
design voids the warranty ;-))  Although, you can certainly substitute
parts you have on hand since they are not super critical.

With the "Terry" filter and an input fuse protecting the NST, there is no
known way to destroy the NST.  Without any protection, NSTs seem to die
like flies...

Before some asks (again :-))), the filter is at:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/NSTFilt.jpg

Cheers,

	Terry