Re: Annealing copper was (My Primary Coil disaster)

Original poster: "Mark Broker by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

Marc,

What you are describing is the annealing (tempering) process for steel.
That is a completely different beast than copper, brass, and aluminum.  I
remember trying to "quench"
a piece of copper to make it harder....  Boy was I ever surprised when it
was soft, not hard!  That was the semester after I took "Engineering
Materials," which covered almost
exclusively the hardening of steels, and was hoping copper would behave
similarly....  maybe not....

Others have posted good info on tempering/annealing copper and aluminum, so
I won't repeat it - just thought I'd clear up this issue a bit before The
Moderator quenches the
topic :)

hehe.  couldn't resist :)

Mark Broker