RE: transformer theory q

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi Matt

For a given power transformer core, there is a minimum number of primary
turns necessary to form a magnetic field to properly envelop the core and
secondary. In the case of power transformers, it is expected that the
secondary be located close as possible to the core within the constraints of
insulation and heating sinking requirements. At the minimum number of
primary turns, the design formulas for power transformers on the internet
become effective. At the minimum number of primary turns, the secondary will
need a certain numbers of turns to develop one volt. As one reduces the
number of primary turns from the minimum, the secondary will not see as many
magnetic flux lines as it did when using the minimum number of turns. This
will happen even though the primary will draw more current as the number of
turns are reduced. This will cause the secondary to need more turns to
produce one volt. If the magnetic envelopment of the secondary is such that
the outer turns see much less magnetic lines than the inner turns, an outer
turn will develop less voltage than an inner turn. This will happen even
though an outer turn has more copper exposed to the magnetic lines. This
effect has to be taken into account in the case of high magnetic leakage
transformers. Even in power transformers, an outer turn will produce less
volts than an inner turn, but the effect is negligible.

Godfrey Loudner