Here's some messages from the archive about Jeffersons.

Original poster: "Garry Freemyer by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <garry-at-ndfc-dot-com>

Here are some messages I saw that explain my post about Jeffersons. There
aren't as many negative messages about Jefferson's as I thought but just
finding them at least assured me a little that I am not *Completely* losing
my mind. I was beginning to think I was losing it when it seemed *I* was
just about the only one aside from Terry that remembered hearing anything
negative. I found a lot of positive posts from people that had no problem
depotting them at all. A lot more than those who had bad experiences. I do
remember the message that said they were insulated with tarpaper and the
tarpaper disolves.

Maybe it depends on when it was made. Perhaps they put out a few lemons and
a lot of good ones. Its much the same for hard drives. A lot of brands have
had both bad and good batches.

I think my problem was I soaked it far too long and perhaps heated it too
much trying to get the tar out. I suppose I could try to rewind the
secondary that went south but I doubt I could succeed.

Here are the messages.

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 12/28/00 6:26:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Also, what is the correct temp for melting tar out of a tranny in an oven
>  without having the tar smoke a lot? I seem to remember 200 degrees, but
the
>  tar wasn't even soft with this temperature after 45 minutes.

Another thing to consider about the Jefferson units, is some of them
use a silica filled tar.  It's about 85% silica, so it's harder to really
melt it compared with pure tar which is more runny.

John Freau