Re: Ammonia spark gap ?

Original poster: "Jason Petrou by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>

Duncan,
> Yep.  That's the point.  To make ammonia takes hydrogen, nitrogen,
> heat (a few hundred C) and high pressure (a few hundred atm) plus a
> fast flow rate to whip the ammonia out to somewhere cool before it has
> time to decompose.
Dont they dissolve it in water then distil it? not sure...

> If you do it the other way round, ammonia, low
> pressure (1 atm) high temperature (spark, thousands of C) no flow
> rate, then the ammonia will fall apart and give nitrogen and hydrogen
> :-)  The **reverse** of the Haber process.
If anyone has an old vaccum SG ro a little xray tube i'd like to fill it
with ammonia and give it a whirl... might be interesting!

> >I still think the best bet is an RSG though (IMHO :))
>
> Or a triggered gap.  Marc has done some excellent stuff with his
>  http://www.fortunecity-dot-com/meltingpot/syria/1210/id40.htm ) and it
> looks like it may be cheap and easy to build if you're not into
> machining G10 composite or modifying motors.

What is G10? Ive seen a lot about G10 and G11... are they some king of
alloy?

Jason