RE: transformers

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi Jake

A bombarder is used to vaporize impurities so that they can be excavated
from a virgin neon tube prior to the introduction of the gases which give
color to an operating neon sign. Impurities on the inside wall of a neon
tube would interfere with the purity of the color and the working life of a
tube. Every neon shop must have a bombarder. Because bombarders are so
expensive, some shops use pole pigs or potential transformers as
substitutes. Since bombarders are not current limited, they come with a
variable inductor for current limiting. The big inductors can control a
25KVA bombarder. Such a variable inductor would be a major prize for a Tesla
coiler.

Godfrey Loudner