From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2001 9:04 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Sphere/Toroid Comparison Chart

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 5/5/01 2:52:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <
> twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
> Hi Matt,
>
> The toroid C value is obviously calc'd in these (standard toroid
equations)
> as well
> as the spheres. But there is a problem with some. Toroid cord and
diameters
> overlap
> on some which is impossible and the equation is then wrong for those
> toroids (and
> also wrong for the equiv. spheres). For example, the 8" x 6" toroid. The
> cord is 6",
> and therefore the outer diameter must be larger than 12". This is why the
> capacitance
> is way off on these particular impossible toroids.
>
> Take care,
> Bart A.

Hi Bart!
Thanks for pointing out the impossibilities. The table was generated for a
range of sizes, and since I was not trying to build an impossible size, I
guess I overlooked the silliness at the lower (upper) end of the chart.
Since
some people are talking about metallic "garden spheres" in lieu of toroids,
thought a quick comparison might help.
With egg on face,
Matt D.