RE: 3-1000z VTTC - Record breaking final run

Original poster: "Ross Overstreet by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ross-o-at-mindspring-dot-com>

The addition of the toroid changed F(r) from 328 khz to 250 khz.  It has a
3" tube and a 14" total OD.  I added several taps to the primary so I could
instrument tune the primary tank to the loaded (250) or unloaded (328) freq
of the secondary.  I also provided a means of disconnecting some of my
primary C and added taps to the primary L so that I could maintain the
instrument tune.  Furthermore, I can swing the resonant freq of the primary
tank about 50khz with the 40pF vacuum variable that I am using.  Given all
of this, I still have a hard time finding a maxima as far as tuning goes.

The next tube circuit will not use the toroid.  I prefer a larger ball of
arcs to the more vertical arcs and slightly thinner arcs that I saw with the
topload.

(Q #1)
Can anyone tell me more about matching the Z of the primary tank to the Z of
the tube?  Is this just another myth or is there some important theory here?
I tried both options (Low C, high L / high C, Low L)while keeping F(r) about
the same and didn't see any significant difference.

(Q #2)
What is the origin of the VTTC oscillator that is commonly used?  Brent's
book demonstrates that it uses ideas from both the Hartley and Armstrong
Oscillator but I'm missing the big picture.  I also haven't seen it in any
other literature.  Is the optimal circuit to be using for the task at hand?

I note that Dave Sharpe (of TCBOR fame) is a big proponent of the push-pull
Hartley configuration.  I think his reasoning is that it is most commonly
used in RF heating and other important tube based oscillator applications.
I see that it has a higher component count and higher complexity and that is
why I have avoided it.

David - watch the mov file in slow motion during the tube flash-over.
You'll see it get extremely bright.  Pyro in a bottle.

It would be a shame to give up just when I'm starting to get a grasp.  I'll
probably lash together a little 3CX2500 coil next.

Seeya,
Ross