Re: Pulse Width for Ignition Coil

Original poster: "Eddie Burwell by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <eburwell-at-HIWAAY-dot-net>

If the core has much of a gap at all it won't saturate with any sane amount
of current. What will happen is the current will be limited by the DC
resistance of the coil. The inductance of the coil will be "charged" in a
few RL time constants. At T= one RL (resistance*inductance) time constant
the coil will be charged to 63% of the max current. 5RL would put you within
1% of max current so  2-3 sould be sufficient. Release the input current and
voila! You have a spark.

Hope this helps,
Eddie Burwell

At 10:24 PM 5/1/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Steve & Jackie Young by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-com>