Re: Smallest TC ever

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

> Hi Ed,
>
> On 1 May 01, at 11:33, Tesla list wrote:
>
> > Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz
> > <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
> >
> > Tesla list wrote:
> > >
> > > Original poster: "Jason Petrou by way of Terry Fritz
> > <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>
> > >
> > > me?!?! watches?!?! no way! I used a toothepick with a groove on it
> > > to guide the wire onto the tube and i used talc to stop it from
> > > breaking - it took hours!!!!
> > >
> > > Jason
> >
> >  No one has mentioned this so may be common knowledge, but the easiest
> > way to wind fine wire from a spool is to place the spole on one end
> > and let the wire spiral off around the other.  This way there is no
> > inertia involved except that of the wire itself, and much less change
> > of breaking and tangling.  Of course, the end must be smooth and free
> > of snags.
> >
> > Ed
>
> Exactly how I do it and I've done it for guitar pickups with 5000
> turns+. There is a gotcha that seems to get worse for thicker wire
> though. As it comes off the spool, it naturally starts twisting and
> too much loose wire between the spool and winding can cause kinks to
> form.
>
> Regards,
> Malcolm

	The "big  boys" with high-speed winding machines put a plastic funnel
over the end of the spool.  Helps prevent tangling.  As the wire size
increases a point is reached where the twisting may not be tolerable,
but the wire is then strong enough to be taken off the reel when it is
mounted on an axle. (Dowel rod, piece of pipe, etc.)  I've wound #30
successfully both ways.

Ed

Ed