Re: Multilayer Oudine coil

Original poster: "harvey norris by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <harvich-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Original poster: "mazzilli vladimiro by way of Terry
> Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <mazvla-at-iol.it>
>
> Hi All,
> There were a lot of discussions about the difference
> between an Oudin
> coil and a TC, and we now know well that the scope
> of study were
> different: one based on D'Arsonval target the other
> on Tesla plans that
> were much different.
> Further we know that the electrical schematics is
> different, in oudine
> coil the primary winding is not insulated from the
> secondary one. The
> level of power and the methode to generate the tuned
> primary
> oscillations are different, Oudin used kick coil
> frequently to make a
> type of spark gap at low level of primary voltage
> and the use was
> principally for medical srtumentation (diathermic
> machine).
> But the old article that frequently appear on list
> extract from an old
> Scientific American rewiew known as "An inexpensive
> X ray machine" tell
> of a coil called Oudin, excited only by 120vac mains
> with a kick coil to
> interrupt the current and closing to generate
> primary oscillations, and
> connected primary-secondary coil, air core,tilayer
> but the strange fact
> is that the secondary is a multilayer coil of 5000
> turns on several
> layer (tesla coil are only single layer secondary,
> if not will be an
> enormous burning) and I'm not sure that the primary
> and the secondary
> resonant frequencies are tuned (primary capacitor
> 1uF).
> Someone knows other circuits like this?
>
> Cheers
>
> V.Mazzilli
The variations on high frequency circuits past that
excepted as the best electrical displays of arcing
through air with a strong discharge and spectacular
arc length through space are essentially more accepted
as avante garde effects procured by the final "best
effects" made by a tesla coil. However the
autotransformer abilities of a secondary  to freely
vibrate at a faster rate as a higher harmonic of the
primaries vibration might  be reflected in teslas
magnifier system connections, where the final coil may
vibrate faster than the initiator sequence. This may
be explainable as 3rd harmonics in that high frequency
system.

It seems useful as a beginning to investigate how and
why auto transformers are used to begin with, if we
are to imagine how that high frequency analogy can
take place in an Oudin coil. I would speculate that
the Oudin coil secondary has a tighter bandwidth  and
would be tighter to tune than a secondary made from
spacing away from that made by the loose coupling and
spaced primary with a conventional tesla coil. The
whole secondary issue is the freedom to vibrate. In
the ordinary tesla coil secondary, that freedom to
vibrate is guaranteed by the spacing where a secondary
must be in loose magnetic coupling  with the primary
for it to respond as a bell that rings. With an Oudin
coil the secondary is made as a bell to ring but the
striking ringer somewhat sticks to the bell and damps
the vibration somewhat if all the dimensions are not
perfect. Perhaps it is the fact that those hf impulses
were more damped that made it a more experimental gig
for possible ?safe medical applications of the body.

For the subject of multiwound layered coils I have
made a 33 sec mpeg video of spark disharges between 9
miles of 23 gauge -at- 56 Henry wire on both sides of a
output arc, and also the kickbacks going back up the 9
miles of line on each side containing 20,000 ~ 6 inch
diameter winds to appear at its sourcings as a
kickback flash. This is linked at electrical kickback
video at
http://msnhomepages.talkcity-dot-com/LaGrangeLn/teslafy/Homepage.html

HDN

=====