Re: Polystyrene caps: was Re: Polyester Film Capacitors

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi Duncan,
 <snip>

Tesla list wrote:

> >I run CSI 60kv polystyrene pulse caps and have yet to warm them
> >in pig usage. I don't run at long lengths, but they've seen lots of
> usage
> >over the past 3 years.
> >Dimensions are 3" x 17" with large 3/8" bolt/ 5/8" nuts (the good
> stuff)
> >at each end. When first picked up, I've always been curious to see
> >these get warm, but they don't. I check for this during all runs.
>
> Wow!  So somebody _does_ still make these things :-)  Who are CSI?  If
> they have a web presence maybe they also have data sheets . . .

CSI is based here in California. I aquired the caps from an individual who
worked for CSI. The company
I was working for in MN bought large quantities of pulse caps for flash
tubes (toner fusing on high
volume check printing equipment). Because of that, they kept us happy. I
talked to a guy at CSI about
TC's and was looking to buy caps appropriate for my system. The guy said he
had a few of these 60kv
caps lying on a shelf for quite a while and would send them to me (no
charge). Obvisously, I was
amazed and quite the happy coiler. I later found out I was sent a few
thousand dallars in caps. This
individual knew about Tesla Coils from a bad experience. Someone from Texas
had a custom cap made.
When it failed (due to lack of experience by the coiler), daddy had it out
with CSI. Because of this,
I haven't made CSI real well known. It only takes one coiler to ruin it for
the rest of us.

Anyway, I've since lost contact with CSI and not sure of a web address. You
might try looking around
the net. I do know the guy who sent me the caps is no longer with CSI (no
more free stuff for me). I
actually gave two 0.01uF caps to a buddy at work. I may contact him tomorow
to see if the company
still deals with CSI and see if he isn't using the caps. Maybe I can get
the two caps from him. That
will put me in the 0.08uF range for my coil. <big grin>. Then, my big coil
and David Reiben will be
nearly identical. (two good running sonotube coils).

If I can find out more about CSI after my call, I'll post back whatever I
find out.

Here's what info for CSI that I have at this time:

     CSI Technologies, Inc.
     810 Rancheros Drive
     San Marcos, CA 92069-3009
     USA