Re: Skin effect question

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

The skin effect applies primarily to smooth metal
conductors.  People are neither smooth nor metal, and
the RF current will tend to follow the path of least
resistance.  Dry skin is a pretty lousy conductor,
whereas large nerves and blood vessels, loaded as they
are with electrolytes, are pretty good
conductors--guess where the current is going to
travel!

Having preached all that wise stuff, I must admit that
in my youth, I often took streamer hits to hand held
metal objects (keys, butter knife, etc).  I first
tried this as a teen with itty bitty 3" streamers from
little table top coils running at a few tens of watts.
 As a young adult, I did it with a ~300W NST powered
system.  It didn't hurt a bit.  Back then, I still
believed the skin effect would protect me. Now that I
know better, I'll never, ever take a streamer hit like
that again.  It's just too risky--the long term
effects too unknown.  I haven't noticed any health
effects from my early, misguided experiments, except
that sometimes my words I backwords say.

Brain damaged in Georgia,

Greg...
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg