Re: roller bearing spark gap

In a message dated 6/21/01 9:58:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  I have a pile of roller bearings 1 1/2 inch high and the same diameter. I
>  > have thought of lining some up to use for a spark gap. Has anyone tried
>  this
>  > type of material? If not maybe someone will try them at the N.Cal.
>  Teslathon.
>  > jim heagy

Jim,

I've used 2" dia x 3" tall roller bearings with curved sides in some
old coils, and they worked well.  They do develop burned spots
where the arcs occur.  If the sides are straight on your bearings,
this would let the sparks move around, that would be better for
cooling and less burning.  Or they could be placed end to end
and let the sparks occur between the flat ends.

John Freau