RE: FW: Updated JHCTES Ver 3.3

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

Bart -

Your changing the primary capacitor Cp to change the primary turns is one
way of changing the primary turns. However, the Cp is usually known
accurately or can be easily measured so changing this variable is not
necessary.

On the other hand the secondary terminal capacitance is never known
accurately at the design stage. There are several ways to estimate only this
variable at the design stage and the best is the ETesla6 program. By
adjusting the secondary terminal capacitance with the JHCTES Ver 3.3 program
the primary turns you need can be easily found. The better your estimate the
closer you will be to the actual test secondary terminal capacitance. There
are several other variables that will be changed by the computer because the
program automatically keeps all TC primary and secondary parameters in tune.

The only way to find the secondary terminal capacitance accurately is by
test. The proper test will give you the correct operating frequency. With
this information you can then find the real world secondary terminal
capacitance by the frequency equation and the known secondary inductance and
self capacitance. The JHCTES program uses the secondary terminal capacitance
as an input to expedite this calculation. The JHCTES program will then show
you the correct number of primary turns. This procedure has been proven to
work many times with real world coils.

Note that when you changed the primary capacitor Cp the coupling did not
change because the avg primary radius and spiral inside radius were not
changed. However, the c/c spacing changed and this may not be what you need
for proper clearance. You, therefore, may have to change the avg primary
radius for proper c/c spacing clearance and pri/sec clearance.

Bart - The JHCTES, ACMI and MandK all use the same standard equations except
for the mutual inductance so the following variables for the three should be
very close. Could you send me the values you used for the JHCTES, ACMI and
MandK? The JHCTES Sec Term Cap should be adjusted to give you the actual
test Pri Turns.

   Pri Cap - Avg Rad - Width turns - Pri Turns - Pri Ind
   Sec Rad - Turns - TPI - Sec Height(x) - Sec Term Cap
   Oper Freq - c/c Spacing - Sec Ind - Mut Ind - Coupling

John Couture