Re: Melted enamel spool, fixable??

Original poster: "Frank Van der Auwera by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <fvdauwer-at-uia.ua.ac.be>

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 08:04:39 -0600 Tesla list
<tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:

> Original poster: "brian by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ka1bbg1-at-mcttelecom-dot-com>
>
> Hi, well your a lucky guy! now it might be possible to warm
> the coil up with a hair dryer enough to loosen it and get
> it freed up. good luck brian f.

> SNIP

> > While there, I spotted this 350lb+(!) spool of 21awg
> heavy enamel mag wire > sitting on a pallet.  The only
> problem was that the first 50 or 60 layers on
> > the spool had been melted when, somehow, the enamel ran
> together, but only > on those first 50 layers. I got it for
> free(!), but I'm at a loss as to how
> > to fix it, any sugestions?? >
> > Thanks > Erik
SNIP

Copper being a good heat conductor, i think you might
loosen up the outer layers and at the same time melt
together some more of the deeper layers. you could try
using a stanley knife or something similar to <cut> through
th eouter layers along the length of the spool and peel
them off as a 'jacket', then try and pry off the dangly cut
ends untill you get to the good stuff?

Frank Van der Auwera.

mailto:frank.vanderauwera-at-ua.ac.be
work http://lib.ua.ac.be/u/fvdauwer