RE: More Urban coiling concerns

Hi Gary,

"I" just put line filters in the way they are labeled, but see Gary Lau's
page at:

http://people.ne.mediaone-dot-net/lau/tesla/emifilter.htm

"I" suspect you won't go wrong either way...

You may want to have a ground plane under the coil.  This is simple a
conductive metal sheet (like aluminum foil) under the coil that is attached
to the RF ground.  Coil currents tend to want to circle back to the ground
so having a good ground plane under the coil will help reduce interference.
 Split it down the center so it does not act like a shorted turn.  Some
nice electric field plots are at:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/andrewb/

These show the voltage fields around a coil.

A grounded wire grill between the audience an the coil will vastly reduce
noise getting to the people.  Chicken wire or even 6 inch spaced magnet
wire will do wonders to stop the electric fields from messing with cameras
and such.  But that may almost be overkill.  This screen should be
connected by it's own wire back to the good ground.

Pacemaker wearers and other people that have vital medical devices have
been instructed by their doctors about electrical devices.  You should
mention this or have a sign that says this is a high power electrical
device and pacemaker wearers should take note.  With a modest coil like
yours there is no danger but you should let them know.  You can check the
archives at www.pupman-dot-com for "pacemaker" and probably find out much more
than you ever wanted to know about this :-))

You may want to use an AM radio to "sniff" around the coil for interference
to see if there are any holes.

If you are going to arc the coil to ground, I would put a big resistor in
the ground path.  Directly discharging the toroid causes some pretty big
currents.  A resistor will vastly reduce these currents and vastly reduce
EMI.  I have some big 200000 ohm foot long wire wound puppys that would
work.  Let me know if you want one (free :-)).

You may want to check around the area of the coil for cable TV, phone, and
AC wiring that may be hiding nearby.

The use of big ferrite cores, like DigiKey sells, significantly reduces
spark gap electrical noise.  Just put them (as many as you want) on the
primary wiring near the actual spark or other place in the primary loop.
That is DigiKey:

http://info.digikey-dot-com/T012/V4/389.pdf

Spark gaps make a lot of high frequency hash that these ferrites will
really knock down.  I like the 240-2081-ND big tubular beads.  The big
clamp ons look great too...

Sounds like your coil will be extremely friendly for your neighbors and
such. :-))

Cheers,

	Terry