Re: DC tesla coil

Original poster: "Jason Petrou by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>

Godfrey,

<snip>
> you would have to use diodes with a very high voltage
> rating of 100,000V or more. These type of diodes are difficult to located
> and are very expensive. The only place I have found them is from rectified
> x-ray transformers.
</snip>

If you look in a big ole black & white TV you will find some great HV
diodes. They are rated at perhaps 60KV and can handle about 500mA peak. I
got for out of the rectifier for an old 17" thompson TV - the whole
rectifier circuit was seperate... diodes, caps, everything. The caps were
huge, about 0.5uF at 40KV, too big for TC usage, but fun for discharge
experiments. I also used the transformer for a flyback device... TVs are
goldmines!!!

Jason