Sync motor :-(

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com>

Hello, everyone
      I had a 1/3 HP, 1725 RPM motor sitting in my barn, just waiting to be
synched. Plus with my dad having all the facilities at work to grind the
flats, and cut a perfect disk, I thought I'd give SRSG a try... So I popped
the thing apart and measured the distance of the pole on one side of the DP
to the pole on the other side. It was .750" So my dad took it to work, and
precision cut the flats .780" exactly 90º on the rotor. I put it back
together, and turned it on. It was noticeably louder, and got hot fast. I
taped a cardboard circle on it with first a dot, then a line drawn on it.
With a fluorescent bulb, I could see them spinning very fast (this was at
10:30 when it was very dark). So I got out my RPM meter, and clocked it at
1625 RPM :-( . Then as it got hotter, I could hear the pitch go up and down,
and so did the RPM. It was definitely not in sync. What could be wrong? The
extra 30 thousandths he added couldn't have done this. I'd hate to guess how
many amps it was drawing there at the end.

Jonathon Reinhart
hot-streamer-dot-com/jonathon