Re: Caps

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Gordon,

WinTesla says for resonant operation at 50Hz, you
should use .053uF. Since your voltage is a bit lower
than optimum, resonant operation might be desirable
because it can give a voltage boost.

Current wisdom is that filter inductors between the
NST and the Tesla coil are a bad idea. The theory is
that inductors can "ring up" to very high voltage like
little Tesla coils, possibly doing more harm than
good. I suggest an RC filter and safety gaps to
protect your NST. I've got a diagram for a simplified
NST protection filter on my web site. I use it myself
at 9kvac/120ma, and my NSTs have been trucking along
for a long time.

I don't use any mains filtering with any of my Tesla
coils, so I can't speak to that issue. I think mains
filtering is unneccessary, but that's just me. I don't
use power factor correction either. I think the Tesla
coil presents a complex, shifty, and highly reactive
load to the NST that mostly invalidates PFC. I don't
have data to back that up, it's just a hunch.

North Shields? Where's that? I lived in Beck Row,
Suffolk 1995-99, and I miss it. Village life sure had
its charms. Rural Georgia is a nice place to live too,
but I can't find decent fish n' chips around here!

Best Regards,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg