Re: Hood Ornament

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com>

   I do not think this would be difficult at all.  The first coil I ever
built was operated from a car battery and used no ground.  I just tied the
bottom of the secondary and one side of the primary to the negative post of
the battery.  Why not just attach that negative post to the car body?
    This was a very small coil that only produced a 2 - 3 inch spark, but
could have easily been designed to produce longer sparks.  It was operated by
a crude buzzer interrupter made from a normally closed relay which powered a
car coil to charge the primary cap.  The plans for this coil came from John
Couture's TC desing manual.
    The only thing about that design I didn't like was that the relay would
burn up and would need to be replaced too often.  I was thinking a diode
should be placed across the contacts to alleviate the spark from the
inductive kick of the car coil.  I did try some kind of capacitor/resistor
suppressor, but it didn't work. Perhaps one of the solid state designs would
be better to use instead of the relay buzzer.
     Other than that difficulty,  the little coil worked fine.  Perhaps it
could even be mouted on the car using a magnetic base like a CB antenna mount
so it could be removed when not in use.
Mike