Re: Trashed Tertiary Coil

In a message dated 7/19/01 10:53:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>  Has anyone had a similar experience with a magnifier or know how to avoid
>  the output discharge from killing the tertiary coil?
>    I don't know if I can repair the damaged coil yet, I may have to wind a
>  new one?, so I don't want a repeat performance of tertiary coil
destruction.
>    Hope some one can help.
>    Paul A

Paul,

You can probably repair the coil simply by removing the bad turns
and leaving the coil that way.  Just reconnect the ends and solder
carefully, and cover with some hot glue or something.  If you want
the coil to look pristine.... that's another matter.

To prevent the arcs from curling down like that, it may help to
put another smaller toroid below the main toroid, to cause the
main toroid to be higher up.  This will cause the sparks to have
less tendency to arc downward.  Of course you need room for
this method.  Richard Hull used to put a small toroid on top
of the tertiary coil, then use a metal cone (like a funnel) to
connect to the larger higher main toroid.  This permitted the higher
toroid to be considerably avove the tertiary coil.  I often use the
double toroid concept on my coils, especially if the coil is
rather short.

John Freau