Re: Thoughts on Tesla coil grounds...

I'd have to agree with Antonio... This seems really high.. A single wire,
not in a loop, just hanging out in space, is around 1uH/meter. Of course,
what we are really worried about is circuit from top load to ground.  To a
certain extent, you WANT high inductance and low DC resistance on the green
wire ground.  This means that that the RF voltage lifts only the chassis of
your TC stuff, and not everything else in the house, but that for safety
reasons, the TC chassis is grounded at 60 Hz.

To take a horrible example, say you connected the bottom of your TC
secondary to the green wire ground in the power cord, which stretched 20
feet across a garage floor, then to the outlet, then to the service panel,
then to the UFER or water pipe service ground.  The TC topload is
essentially a capacitor with reference to the ground surface under the
coil.  The entire circuit would then be the C topload, the secondary L, the
inductance and resistance of the power cord and wiring back to the panel
and then back to under the coil.  There would be significant capacitive
coupling from the green wire to the ground under the cord, too...

On the other hand, the chicken wire ground plane approach (which is what I
use) connects the bottom of the 4"x20" secondary coil to a 4x4 foot chunk
of chicken wire laying on the floor.  Not only is most of the RF voltage
developed between the chicken wire and the toroid, but the capacitance from
the chicken wire to the ground is probably fairly high (I'll have to try
measuring it), and the sheet inductance of the chicken wire is probably
fairly low.  I DO have the chicken wire connected to the safety (green
wire) ground as well, but, by a fairly small gauge wire.  I have never
noticed any RF voltage on the chassis components, etc., although I haven't
measured it to be sure.  This particular coil is a peculiarly good RF
radiator too...(The curse of being an RF engineer, things that you don't
want to radiate (i.e. TCs) do, and things that you do want to radiate (i.e.
antennas) don't)