Re: Ion Motors

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Matthew Inman by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <twycross3-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Hi! Can you tell me what an Ion motor is?

	A motor run by emission of ions.
	Most commonly (these days) encountered as 'ion drive'
	for deep space work.  (low thrust, simple, stone reliable.)

> I got a thing about motors and designing them. But I'm afraid
> the ion motor is a new one on me.

	In the present context, I first encountered them in descriptions of
	'things to do with a van de Graff.  Can also be used on a
	Tesla coil (below breakout).  I've run one off a lab ESD tester.
	(15kvdc).  Usual form is 'horizontal (Axis vertical), this
	note string describes one with wheel plane vertical (axis horizontal).

	Simple, 'horizontal' form (which i used, as above):

		Form an open S shape in soft copper wire, say a piece
		about 16" long, diameter (when formed into an S
		of 4-6".
	(all dimensions are non critical, the attention to detail
	improves things.)
		As to shape, think of a yang/ying symbol.
		At the center, flatten, a bit, for an inch or
		so.  (aim for the center to make balancing easier.)
		(use hammer, vice, vicegrips, two rocks....)
		In the flat bit, use a center punch to make an indent,
		this is the 'bearing'.
		File/wire cutters, etc, to make 'points' on the
		free ends of ESS.

		On the HV terminal mount a 'point' strong/stable
		enough to support the ESS piece.  Be Creative.
		(The ESD tester HAD a point.  easy....)

		Balance the ESS on the needle bearing.  Adjust the
		ESS shape gently to get it to balance.

		Power up.
		Keep below break out.
		ions should spit from the pointed ends, reaction kicks
		the wheel around.  With lights out, visible corona/glow
		s/b present.

		Efficiency?
			Close to nil.

		Presumably, one could make 4 point and 6 point models.
		Other construction modes are possible.

		best
	dwp