RE: What to look for...

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

I pulled a lot of heavy copper wire from a big transformer. As I pulled the
wire, large sections of the enamel came loose. I thought---no problem, I'll
use 1201 red enamel insulating paint to coat the wire. I wound a 240/240
isolation transformer with very heavy HV insulation between the primary and
secondary. The transformer failed almost immediately due to a turn to turn
short. I'm not saying its impossible to insulate bare copper wire, but it
seems to be difficult. I would only use bare copper wire on a tesla
secondary by space winding the wire. Space winding is difficult without the
use of a machine to guild the wire.

Godfrey Loudner