Re: Power Resistor - first light!

Original poster: "Rick W by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rickwilliams404-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hi Steve,

I'm building one of those DC outfits. SPDT RSG and all. NST bank almost
completed, 15Kv unrectified. Will be shooting for 150ma. The microwave
diodes I've selected, not purchased yet, are rated 16Kv -at- 750ma. Building a
full wave bridge, 2 diodes in series per leg, filtered with a 30Kv cap -at-
1.0uf.

Your addition of a limiting resistor interests me. The tank cap will be up
to .1uf in .01 steps for adjustment, the ones that have been tested and sold
here. I'm hoping the filter cap will reduce surge through the supply. I have
10 Dale 50K ohm 50W power resistors I could parallel for 5K for limiting.
This would result in a full charge time of  2.5 ms with the .1uf tank cap.
(5 time constants). These are wire wound also. So your post caught me eye.

About that 6mf cap you used. Did you connect it as a "filter" cap for the DC
output? And I'd be interested in hearing about that SPDT RSG also like how
is it constucted?

Thanks!

Rick Williams
Salt Lake City