RE: Power Resistor - first light!

Original poster: "David Dean by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <deano-at-corridor-dot-net>

Hi Steve,

When the SG fires, if it is across the transformer in series with that
resistor, will appear as a short, and the full 10KV will be dropped across
the resistor. ( .045A X 10,000V = 450W ) So as the cap starts to charge, a
lot of energy is dissipated in the resistor and the spark gap. As the
voltage across the tank cap rises, the voltage across the resister and gap
are less, and when the voltage across the cap reaches the voltage of the
source (less the drop across the resistor and gap) the gap goes out. This
all happens pretty fast, and the total time the resistor is dissipating a
lot of power is very short (per total "bang" time) so the average power
dissipated may be well in the range of the resistor, however if the peak
power is very much higher than the rated power, the device may not be able
to conduct the peak heat out fast enough to dissipate it efficiently. This
may lead to elevated operating temperatures in short order. Higher break
rates would compound the problem.

I could see this as an application for a charging choke with a dampening
resistor across it. Of course if you use a variable break rate, then you
would have to make it tunable. Resistors sure are simple though.

later

deano