RE: static gap fan speed

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

If a motor has brushes, then a cheap lamp dimmer will work just fine
with it.  Vacuum cleaner motors are an example.  Just beware that a
typical vacuum cleaner can draw over 10 Amps, and many cheap dimmers are
only rated at 5 Amps.  It should be OK if you don't crank it past 50%,
which is more air flow than is necessary.

Brushless induction motors do poorly with simple dimmers.

I'm not sure just what kind of motors "motor controllers" are intended
for.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

>Original poster: "Ted Rosenberg by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>