MOT's as power supplies

Original poster: "Alexander Rice by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ajjrice-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 Hi All

         I *appear* to have sucessfully placed four MOT's in series for about
8Kv - they are under oil and the cores are connected such that the only voltage
overstress is between the primary and the core of the two outer trannies which
is about 1.2Kv Pk (i think - extrapolated from 0.1 V in from sig gen)They all
fit into one ammo tin (just - very tight squeeze) (credit to greg for this
idea).
    So far is very well behaved.We have already tested it on Bob Goldings' big
coil and it perfomed fine except for a minor mishap caused by insufficient
insulation between two of the cores as a result of minimal space inside the
ammo case.
    I was simply wondering whether anyone else had tried this before and if so
what their experiences were, it is a nice compact trannie good in theory for
8KVA at 8Kv rms, but should i expect it to fry?
    If it survives further testing which is expected this coming sunday i will
let everyone know, if it doesnt die then this seems like a good alternative for
those who want more power (dont we all?) but are too lazy/scared/poor/dont
posess crane to move the beastly things... to get a piggie - it only cost me
£25 but could easily be done for nothing if you could scrounge parts, except
for the  Shell Diala oil but i believe there are alternatives

Yours hopefully (...please dont die, i just ordered more caps...)

Alex Rice

=-> ICQ# 114007491 <-=