Re: High Voltage Question

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "William R. Langston by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <blangsto-at-iwvisp-dot-com>

> Hello Everyone,
>
> One of my uncles was a VP for General Electric in New York state. By his
> good offices, years
> ago, I visited the GE HV Lab in Schenectady, NY. Along with two very, very
> big cap/diode/gap
> stacks, sat on opposite ends of a very large lab -- for destructive testing
> of transformers,
> breakers, etc.; anyway, along with the stacks was a million-volt+, 60 Hz,
> 3-toroid transformer
> stack. Very impressive to a teen (It helped me decide on physics and
> electronics for my
> vocation). Very impressive sound it made too, both arcs and 60 Hz ('cycles'
> back then ;-) hum.
>
> My point is that if one is willing to do the work and spend the cash...
>
> Have a great evening all,
> Bill Langston

	Some time back the TCBA News published a reprint of an old article
describing a GE HV testing lab.  Early 1900's as I recall.  Would be
interesting to dig it out and see what they were using for HVAC.  Wonder
if it was the same lab, many years later?  Of course, GE may have a
number of HV labs.

Ed