Re: Multiple Spark Gaps

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

<Leik3-at-aol-dot-com>

> Hi Everyone!
> I just finished construction of my spark gaps (yeah!) and I built what I
> think I saw called SD (?) gaps. It has a row of five copper tubes on top and
> four copper tubes on bottom, each row affixed to a piece of Lexan that can be
> moved closer to the other row via 4 all threads (one in each corner).

snipperzz...

Hi Dennis ....

yup the gap is a SD gap ( I know  cuz its my design ;)  ) best thing to do
is to
start with a small gap setting and then open it up as you go on with further
tuning. As you open this gap, after you have a decient tune on the coil system,
you will see longer sparks. I dont know what power supply you are running
so all I
can say is dont let the gap width ( total )  become more than say..  1/2" ((
1/16th of an inch per gap)).  If the system you are running is considered
small (
15KV or less at 120mA or less) the gaps dont need much cooling/quenching. I run
the same gap ( SD gap) on a system that has 4 NSTs paralleled ( each is a 15KV
30mA  for a total of 120mA ) with no forced air cooling and it works great.
Eventually tho after about 8 - 10 hours of running, the gaps need a quick
sanding
job to remove the "carbon" buildup.

good luck with the coiling.....

Scot D