Success with reviving an NST

Original poster: "Garry F. by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <garryfre-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Well, I have revived one allanson 12/60 so far. I removed three layers from the
nicked secondary and replaced the teflon insulation between the core and the
secondaries with Poly sheeting. This was taken from an old plate cap I tried to
build and there was parafien wax on it.

I used quite a few coats of Minwax brush on Poly and I noticed that the poly
never did harden on the sheets.

There was still arching from one of the secondaries to the core despite the
insulation so I got a rubbermaid container.

The small oblong ones they sell are a perfect fit. The NST fit inside snugly so
I don't need to try to mount it inside. I will probably mount it by placing it
into a larger tub with the lid and strapped down good.

I put common mineral oil that I got from the drugstore inside just enough to
cover the core about a quarter of an inch and used some silicone seal to seal
the wire exits.

I just got done trying it on the TC and I got real nice sparks that were
perhaps even more intense than what I had before ~3 foot sparks.

I have another Allanson that is almost all cleaned up and ready for revival.

So, looks like I am back in business. Scared to operate it tho, with all the
burnouts. Maybe this time it will hold together.