Re: Ryan's Coil = DOES NOT WORK!

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ryan Ries by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<spud-at-wf-dot-net>

>         This is not really a problem with my Tesla coil itself, I'm just
working
> getting the power supply to work.

snipperz...

Hi Ryan...

do you have an amp meter? if you do, hook the mots up to 120 v direct and
see what the
current draw is. if it is say 15 amps then when hooked to a 240 volt system
you should see
30 amps draw...

does your piggie have a switch on the case? ( for 7200 vs. 14000 volts
rating)  or is the
piggie "hard wired" inside to be just a 14000 V out unit?  have you made
any internal
changes to the piggie?

most piggies have a transformer that is composed of 4 "windings" on the
core these 4
windings are composed of 2 primaries and 2 secondaries...  the secondaries
are hooked
together in series and the 2 primaries are connected in parallel.  this of
course is for a
240 Vin and 14400 Vout  ( the "primary" windings are the ones with the wide
aluminum
straps marked A,B,C,D  (( if memory serves me correctly A&B are primary 1
and C&D are
primary 2...  therefore for a parallel hook up connect A&C to small lug 1
and B&D to small
lug 3. the middle small lug is not used))

unfortunately the "secondary" side output wires are not marked but the way
they come out
if the core is a determining factor as to which one is what... normally
there are 4 wires
( 2 on the left side and 2 on the right side) (( both left wires are the
"lefts" of 2
secondaries and the "rights" are the other ends of the secondaries....  one
left is the hi
output, the 2nd left is hooked to a right wire and the 2nd right is the
other hi output))
if you hook up one left and a right toghether and see no output , the 2
secondaries are
opposed you will need to then hook up the other right wire to the same left
you just used

check with an ohm meter and see if you get about 2 - 5 ohms on the primary
and about 10-20
ohms on the secondary also check and see if you get any low ohm readings
from each lug to
the can ( if you are getting readings from the can to any of the
input/output lugs there
may be a shorting problem  but this is not always the case)

as far as sparks for a Jacobs ladder ...  I need to have about 1/4" - 1/2"
of space
between my electrodes to get it to jump, from there it climbs up the tubes
( I use 1/4"
copper tubing for my ladder)

Scot D