Re: Tungsten Carbide

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "David Huffman by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <huffman-at-fnal.gov>

> I recently received some cutting bits for a large machine. The person I got
> them from told me they were tungsten carbide. I was hoping to use them for a
> spark gap but I think they may be some other material.

Hi Dave...

tungsten carbide comes in about 3 different colors....   a hi carbide
content is a dark dullish
luster, a lower carbide content gives you a more metallic luster ( kinda
like tool steel ) and the
3rd color is the "golden" tone type ( this is TC coated with a titainium
nitride overlay, it
increases the hardness (( durability)) of the cutting tip)

as far as using them as spark gaps, try holding them in place with either
stainless or brass screws
( the hole in the middle should be excellent for this)

Scot D