Re: Painting a Pig

Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Original poster: "Alan Yang by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
><megavolt121-at-mediaone-dot-net>
>

>The little pressure vessel isn't for letting out the vent the air inside
>for
>when you run in the winter. In fact you shouldn't ever need to pull it. A
>Friend of mine once ran a pig powered coil. Pumping in way too many amps he
>was like "Gee i wonder what's wrong" and kept looking at his coil with a
>confused look. After checking to see that everything was right he decided
>again to pump more power into the pig. A few seconds later we heard a
>PSSSTTT(like a fart). Then noticed that his PIG literally farted out smoke,
>oil, etc.
>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/megavolt121/dead_pig.jpg
>That valve is there to save your life(well save a high voltage line pole in
>the intended use) from being blown to bits.

Ok....lemmie get this straight.....

Death by electrocution, power tools, poisonous gases melting my lungs,
exploding wires, exploding caps, flying oil, metal, glass, and schrapnel
from rotary gaps with deadly bolts, the police, the FCC, the EMP, the PCBs,
jumping wires, angry neighbors, curious kids, curious pets, and curious
George, and now, to top it off I have to worry about PIG FARTS?!!!!!!!

I could cry. if I wasn't LMFAO.

>I dont see the point of all your high tech paints when a simple coat or two
>of spray paint will do the job? Hey lotta home mechanics use that stuff on
>their engines, and your engine will always be hotter than your pig(which
>shouldn't ever get hot in TC use unless you run for EXTENDED periods of
>time). All you would have to do is put a few coats of paint on, then a few
>clear coats to protect it. If you get an occasional scratch in the future,
>just respray it.
>
>-Alan

Because I want to make it the best looking Pig I can and I'm lucky to have
the resources availible to the project that I do, I might as well use them.
Sure, the way it looks has absolutly NO bearing on how it will function, the
Pig doesn't care what colour it is, and (theoretically) works perfectly as
it is (we haven't tested it yet). Putting a weeks work into painting it
won't affect it's output in any way and is a monumental waste of my time.

But, (yeah...there's always a but),
(http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org/images/profiles/Belt_Rear.jpg
http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org/newsletters/Batbelt.htm) the painting of the pig
will accomplish a lot of good things.

1. It gets that sponsor on yet another Group project, and sponsors LOVE
seeing their name on things, it's why they're sponsors.

2. It gets us practice with painting, and given that we will be painting
Geek-0 in a month or 2 that's a good thing.

3. It sets our coil apart from the rest, I sincerely want this to be the
best looking coil possible. It's going to be seen by a lot of people (it's
designed for demo work). I would MUCH rather roll into a gym full of kids
with a high class, sleek and beautiful coil than something made from
plywood, duct-tape, and Ty-Wraps. Image in VERY important, especaily when
I'm in the middle of a capital campaign (like I am now).

When we built the MMCs it would have been a LOT easier to do them like Robin
did (he used the same caps), and Robin has a sharp looking coil. We could
have saved a TON of tome and built them like Mark's previous one (he built
one for Sparky last year). But instead we used a completely different
design. There is absolutly no difference electrically between Robins or
our's. And ours took a LOT longer to built. I just like the look of ours
better. And we've gotten a TON of positive feedback on the appearance of our
MMCs. I want the whole coil to look that good, every part, even down to the
bushings on the Pig.

I'm weird and fanatical (Passionate) about a lot of dumb things, It's part
of being a Geek :)

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group