RE: Spark Gaps

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

A coil powered by a 15/60 NST is not what I would call a table top size!  In
addition to the substantial weight of such a large NST, one would typically
use a secondary at least 24-28" long with it, and putting all that on top of
a table would have your toroid up close to the ceiling (at least in my
low-ceiling house).

But I digress.  My point is that the power delivered by a 15/60 is
substantial, and that heat removal is a necessary consideration.  So the gap
electrodes need to be suitably large and air-cooled.  Gap design is not
something that could hose your NST, unless you open the gaps up too far.
ANY static gap opened too far will toast your NST.  I would recommend a gap
not greater than .25" - .38".  My single static gap design is simple and has
delivered 60" streamers from my 15/60 (your mileage may vary!), and is
documented at:
http://people.ne.mediaone-dot-net/lau/tesla/onegap.htm

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA

Original poster: "Troy D. Taylor by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <troy-at-ezcoding-dot-com>

Hello, I am to the point where I need to start thinking about the spark gap
for my tesla coil.

Its going to be a "mini" tesla coil - table top size.  I have a 15/60
Franceformer for the supply.  What is the cheapest/quickest spark gap I
could use without running the risk for hosing the NST?  Could someone give
me a reference to spark gaps?

I noticed most sites just sorta skip over how they made their "simple" spark
gap. While they go into great deal on their rotary ones. :)  I also heard
discussion that a rotary is not ideal for a NST.

Thanks!

Troy