Re: Lightning Arrestors (was Geek Pig)

Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
><bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>
>
>Chris,
>
>I've take a few pictures of the 9 kV Pyrex Arrestor. These include a
>shot of the whole arrestor (about 15" long), a close-up of the chain of
>spark gaps, and a close-up of the silicon carbide MOV. Arrestors made
>from a combination of Silicon Carbide and spark gaps were commonly used
>from between 1930 and 1970. They have more recently been supplanted by
>Zinc Oxide MOV type. The pictures can be seen at:
>
>http://www.aquila-dot-net/bert.hickman/photos/arrestor1.jpg
>http://www.aquila-dot-net/bert.hickman/photos/arrestorgaps.jpg
>http://www.aquila-dot-net/bert.hickman/photos/arrestorMOV.jpg
>
>-- Bert --
>--

Wow, that thing is absolutly beautiful! IS the powder held in place with
cardboard???!!!!! I love the Gap, I hope I find a similar one in the small
arrestor (the Big one I'm thinking will have a single gap, I don't know why,
just a hunch). Where did you find that? It looks like from about '40 or so,
am I right?

Thanks for the education! btw, can you email me off list? You have a lot of
experiance in Quarter shrinking and the truck just dropped of 1200+lbs of
capacitors here (250 of them, for the Thumper project) I have a couple
questions for you. :)

thanks

Christopher "Duck" Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek