Re: Pig Beautification and Craftsmanship

Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
><CTCDW-at-aol-dot-com>
>
>Chris,
>
>I believe that the pole transformers are "powder coated", which is an
>aircraft grade finish. The problem is, they have to be baked to apply this
>coat. I do not know at what temperature. Some Cycle enthusiasts have their
>bike parts powder coated as well, so you could check those leads too. YOu
>can
>get an amazing gloss finish, which is really really tough!

Yes, powder coating is done with a low pressure gun that works similar to a
sand blaster (but at REALLY low pressure, like 4psi). The gun shoots a fine
powder (very much like toner for a laser printer or a Xerox). As the powder
passes through the gun it is charged to a high voltage, the workpiece is
grounded to the other side of the HV supply and thus the powder (is supposed
to) stick to the work.

After the powder is applied, the workpiece is baked (usually in an oven or
with a heatlamp) for a short time and the powder hardens (I actually think
it melts and then hardens when it cools) much like Toner (i think it may be
Toner).

The Powder changes color when baking too, sometimes markedly.

Our Pig was not powder coated, it had a coat of Red primer and then a coat
of Gray. There was only red inside. We're SURE it wasn't powder coat because
there are drip marks inside :) Powder doesn't drip.

What DID suprise me was that the core is bolted directly to the inside of
the case. I have been paranoid about tipping it at all becasue I thought the
core rested on wooden spacers (they do in REALLY big transformers, from what
I remember).

I'm half tempted to depot this thing and make a REALLY sharp looking case
for it. hmmmmmmmmm it would take a ton of work, but it would definately be
worth it. Making an oil-tight case would be a SERIOUS pain....but imagine a
10kVA power supply housed in a 1/8" thick stainless, diamondplate box with a
pair of BIG HV bushings on top......nice.

24" cube, diamondplate stainless.......this could look really sharp.

Anyone see a problem with this idea? It's a LOT easier than depotting an
NST, lol, I'd have to get some Shell DialAX but that's not too hard.

Has ANYONE done this before? Tips? Suggestions? I will reuse the original LV
terminals, and transplanting the core would be a straightforeward thing, no
big deal (except lifting the thing....cherry picker)

I hate it when I come up with a project during an email, lol

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group
www.thegeekgroup-dot-org