Re: low vs high frequency tesla coils?

Original poster: "Dr. Duncan Cadd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dunckx-at-freeuk-dot-com>

Hi Joseph!

Date: 17 January 2001 00:29
Subject: low vs high frequency tesla coils?

>Original poster: "joseph gallo by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <juzeppy-at-hotmail-dot-com>

<snip>

>I now have two new 3kv 20 mili amp neon trannys Ill put in
series)

As Ralph says you want these in parallel or not at all!

>My question is what are the advantages of designing a low
frequency coil as
>opposed to a high frequncy coil(or disadvantages) using the
same power
>supply.

The losses tend (note: *tend*) to be lower at low
frequencies. FWIW, if this was my setup, I think I'd use a
former around 2-3" diameter, maybe 15-18" long, and wind it
with wire around 30awg and go with whatever that gave me. (I
graduated magnum cum laude from the "It'll do" School of
Tesla Coiling.)  Others on this list will have other ideas
on that.

Dunckx