RE: better sync motor mods?

Original poster: "Basura, Brian by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <brian.basura-at-unistudios-dot-com>

John/all,

I've modified a dozen plus motors and have never needed to cut all the way
through any of the current bars (BTW - Is current bars the correct term?).

I use the dead pole method to determine the max width of the flat for a
particular size and type of motor. Then I slowly work towards this maximum
a little at a time. Each time I remove metal I reassemble the motor then
measure and document minimum sync voltage and current with a mechanical
load applied. This process has produced solid salient pole synchronous
motors with an average increase in current of only 12%, no noticeable
heating, and plenty of torque.

Note-I use only 1/3 or 1/2hp motors so a slight reduction in torque would
be hard to detect without proper test equipment (A dynamometer to test and
document electric motors is one of the hundreds of projects on my to-do list).

Side note - I have some of Tesla's writings on synchronous motors. I'll see
if I can find them tonight or tomorrow. It may shed some more light on the
subject since he did invent synchronous motors  :)

Regards,
Brian B.