Re: Depotting NST - Help!

Original poster: "Hans Scholze by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <hanscs-at-eagle.ptialaska-dot-net>

Bill,

I recently depotted three dead OBITs.  I just chipped the
tar off very cautiously with a sharpened screwdriver.  I
mashed it into the secondary of the first one, but after I
had an idea how they were put together it went OK.  Then I
soaked them in gasoline (outside, of course).  Of the two
remaining, one partially worked (about half the output of a
good one) and the other was still dead.  I decided to try
completly disassembling the half-good one, but it never
worked at all after that.  I am wondering if most people
just leave the cores together after cleaning or if anyone
has had sucess taking them all the way apart.  To answer you
question about the secondary, it has alternating layers of
wire and paper, with a few extra layers of paper on the
outside (discoverey made when I drove the screwdriver into
one :-0

Hans

PS  Ironically, the one with the mashed secondary is the
only one that worked.  The gouge was only a few layers deep,
so I crammed a piece of copper wire into it and applied a
liberal ammoung of hot glue - works great!!