Re: tesla coil

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <free0076-at-flinders.edu.au>

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Joshua Lovato by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jlovato-at-newmexico-dot-com>

> Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a small toroid that
> has a relatively smooth surface?

No, but for little coils a lightbulb covered in aluminium foil works well
and is a lot easier when you are just starting... Doesn't even have to be
a working bulb =)

I was lucky, my little baby coil fits snugly around the base of the bulb
so I just taped it on and it's now looking nice. The bulb will always have
wrinkles in it if you use foil, just smooth them down and the streamers
don't seem to mind too much. I haven't tried aluminium tape, I suppose you
could do a nice job winding strips of tape around the bulb, you wouldn't
have as much slack metal to press down around the neck.

Darren Freeman