Re: Correction: It's Me Again

Original poster: "sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi Ryan, All,

  If you're running that pig at 800-someodd mA, then you're
probably powerarcing (spotwelding more like) your gap.  Choke the
pig down to 200ma or so (by running it on a 120v line to the middle
and 1 outer tap for the full 14kv on the HV side)  You should be
pulling around  18-20A on the 120v line.  Even rotaries will
powerarc with huge charging currents on 'em.  Ballast that puppy
down a bit more :)  Run it on 120v if you have to to get the
current down to a some-what more sane level.

 On the capacitance, yep, you're looking at a biiiiig cap to run
reso on a pig.  Most guys get the biggest cap they can afford and
run a higher breakrate than 120bps (300-800bps more commonly).

  Keep in mind that a pig system can easily pulverize most caps!
With only 30nf available, I'd definatey keep the pig choked down in
current to avoid literally baking your caps!
  Also, if those are the same caps I'm thinking about, (1200v.22uf
Panasonics), they use a mylar dielectric and will heat *very*
quickly in TC service.  I've gotten them to work find on a small
(9/30 NST) running DC and a single static gap, but they heated
pretty good in the same setup running a 9/60. Just a heads up (I
bought them from Bill Noble, I believe)

My advice is to choke it down by both mots in series (the mots
should have the secondary shorted to the core), and run it off
120v.  Check the MMC frequently for heating too, because if those
are the caps I think they are, I'm almost positive they're mylar
(polyester).

          Hope it helps!
                                            Shad