Re: pig in overdrive...

In a message dated 2/27/01 9:44:10 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> > You can parallel them, but it's even better to put the outputs in series
>  > if your caps can handle it.
>  >
>  > John Freau
>
>  Hi John...
>
>  series the 2 pigs?  so you are saying that the system can handle almost
>  30KV ?  or
>  am i thinking wrong again about the systems voltage?  Caps are no problem
>  I have 2
>  -at- 50KV .114uF caps in series  e.g. 100KV -at- .057uF approx.
>
>  Scot D

Scot,

I'm not sure what you mean by the system?  The combo of
the series pigs?  You are correct about the ~30kV resulting voltage.
Each pig will still see only ~15kV each with the center point of the
series pig's secondaries grounded.  It's the same as putting two
MOT's in series and grounding the cores.  As far as the rest of
the system handling 30kV, I've recently done tests on my small
research coil (TT-42 type) with 42kV peak on the primary.  Higher
primary voltage is good because it lets you use a more primary
turns for a given bang size (smaller cap value), and improves the
surge impedance and reduces the gap losses.

John Freau