Re: VTTC first sound :-)

Original poster: "Finn Hammer by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <f-hammer-at-post5.tele.dk>

David, Herwig, all!

Using a valve amplifier output transformer to modulate the tube coil
works well, it was what I used for the small plasma tweeter that Ulrich
Haumann conceived, and Duncan is now playing with too.
But if there is any current going to the grid that handles the
modulating, this current will have a DC component, which will tend to
saturate the transformer core. And this in turn produces awfully
sounding clipping of the audio signal.
One way to solve that problem is to use a transformer from a single
ended amplifier. This kind of amplifier has a DC bias current running
trough the plate winding all the time, so it is well suited for this
task.
The transformer needs to have a small airgap in the magnetic path, large
enough to absorb the DC Bias. However it also needs to have very close
magnetic coupling of the vindings to support the transfer at high
frequencies. Any primary inductance that is not coupled with the
secondary, will appear as a series inductance. In the tank of our
disruptive coils, this series inductance is seen as current limiting,
but in a circuit where a range of frequencies are to be transmitted, the
impedance of a series inductance will rize with frequency, and cutt off
the highs. Not good since it is with the highs, that tesla loudspeakers
excell.
Audio guys tend to overestimate the value of their stuff, so be prepared
to pay.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "David Trimmell by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <davidt-at-pond-dot-net>